I appreciate short and sweet food blog posts. Since I tend to expound on my thoughts via this blog on a regular basis, we are going to hop right into this mug of pure joy.
I couldn’t decide which GIF to use so enjoy all three options! They all feel right for the occasion.
- 2 cups of a plant-based milk (almond, soy, coconut, cashew, flax, really any of them that heat well)
- 1/4 cup of baking cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 cup of white sugar (add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (add more to taste)
- Start warming the milk over medium or medium-low heat.
- Create the slurry. Add cocoa powder, spices and hot water to a bowl. Whisk until fully combined. Or, use a frother (my personal favorite).
- Add the slurry to the warmed milk. Add sugar to taste. Add spices to taste.
- Serve in cute mugs with cinnamon sticks, vegan (or not vegan) marshmallows, a dust of nutmeg, chocolate shavings, plant-based (or dairy) whipped cream, or any other topping your Pinterest loving heart chooses!
- Take cute pics for the ‘Gram and make your friends jealous – My personal favorite
Okay so look… I added the sugar, it was perfect. Then, I added marshmallows and it became super sweet. Moral of the story: be careful about that sugar thing. Of course you can use any sweetener you prefer, I wanted to make this as accessible as possible. Most of us still have white sugar around. Feel free to use coconut sugar, stevia, agave, reiki, hopes and dreams, or whichever you prefer.
Secondly, this can become very rich and delicious, depending on the alternative milk you choose. Vanilla almond milk works, I’d imagine unsweetened almond milk, flax milk, cashew milk, oat milk or soy milk would work as well. Let me know in the comments how any of these taste! I like trying new options. Macadamia nut milk wasn’t horrible. I’ll try it in chia pudding one day.
Thirdly, this makes more than one serving. Trust me. I tried drinking it in one sitting, I needed some water that I’m currently drinking after enjoying this hot chocolate. Similar to the feeling of eating too much cake, you don’t regret eating it because it was heavenly but there is a point when you feel your stomach say “okay, that is enough.”
Fourthly, I’m not a huge hot chocolate person, chocolate isn’t really my thing. My taste buds usually crave it a handful of time in the winter months and then I’m good until the next year. But if I’m drinking hot chocolate, it’s going to be the liquid embodiment of the fire emojis.
Last thing, this milk frother makes everything feel luxurious and expensive. This is the link to the frother I have. Yep, not paying $30 for a device like this. I need it to do one thing. I already have a spaceship, it’s my air fryer and I love it!
Enjoy! Let me know how you and everybody else likes it!
This would be a cool thing for kickbacks and parties. Just make a large pot ahead of time, warm it when you’re ready and let everyone add their own toppings.
I’ll try this for Christmas if I could get my Grandfather to try it.